A woman from Kent has praised nurses at a minor injuries unit for their quick reactions after she was stung by a hornet and went into anaphylactic shock.
Irene Elliott, 69, had fallen unconscious at home was taken to the nearby unit by her partner, Tony.
She was given initial treatment by staff at the MIU, including senior nurse practitioner Joan Hogben and colleagues Sasha Caridia and Marie Vining.
The unit, more used to dealing with insect bites than full blown anaphylaxis, is based at Sittingbourne’s Memorial Hospital, which is run by Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust.
Ms Hogben said: “Sasha gave Irene a shot of adrenalin to stabilise her, while I called 999.
“Sasha and Marie helped to maintain Irene’s airway which was starting to shut down, while I gained intravenous access with a cannula,” she said.
Ms Elliott was then stabilised further by air ambulance doctors and rushed to accident and emergency at Medway Maritime Hospital, where she was discharged at 6pm the same day.
She said: “I can’t fault the care from any part of the NHS. If I had gone home and sat on the sofa, Tony might have thought I was asleep and it could have been a very different ending. I know I am very lucky to be alive.”
Ms Hogben added: “Minor injury units do not have the medical equipment to support these types of conditions, fortunately Irene responded well to the adrenalin and our ambulance colleagues were with us quickly to support.”