A dozen new nurses have been elected to the Royal College of Nursing’s ruling council.
The voting results of the 2009 Council elections were announced last week. New council members will formally take up their posts after this year’s college AGM on the 28 October 2009.
RCN chief executive Peter Carter said: “I am delighted to welcome the new council members. RCN Council plays a crucial role in ensuring the voice of nurses is heard and in helping shape health policies so that patients receive the best care possible.
“I look forward to working with these committed individuals who will help shape the direction of nursing on behalf of members,” he added.
The following candidates have been elected:
- Carol Watts - Eastern
- Andrew McGovern - London
- David (Dave) Dawes - North West
- Anne Marie O’Neill (elected for a four year term) - Northern Ireland
- Kevin Bell (elected for a two year term) - Northern Ireland
- Michael Brown (elected for a four year term) - Scotland
- Eileen Frame (elected for a two year term) - Scotland
- Lorrae (Lors) Allford - South West
- Gaynor Jones - Wales
- Susan Fern - West Midlands
- Anne Kennedy - Yorkshire & Humber.
The following members were elected unopposed:
- David Miller - East Midlands
- Kathleen McCourt - Northern
- Sandra James - South East
- Saffron Brown - Student Member of Council.