- Article: McIntyre L et al (2012) Developing a bundle to improve fluid management. Nursing Times; 108: 28, 18-20.
- All patients should be assessed for their fluid needs
- A plan should be made to ensure optimum hydration
- Fluid intake should be managed continuously
- Hydration should be reviewed for early detection of deterioration
- Education for all involved and effective communication throughout underpin the principles of successful fluid management
- Think about your ward or unit. How do you monitor the accuracy of fluid balance charts?
- What strategies could you use to ensure patients receive adequate fluids?
- Why do you think dehydration is a problem in hospitals?
- What strategies have your Trust developed to improve monitoring and management of patients who are at risk of dehydration?
- How could the Intelligent Fluid Management Bundle described in this article help reduce the problem of dehydration in hospitals?