- Article: Cooper A (2012) Electronic record system preparation. Nursing Times; 108: 6, 26-27.
- Author: Anne Cooper is national clinical lead for nursing, Department of Health Informatics Directorate.
- Clinical staff often show a lack of engagement or scepticism about using technology
- Careful planning and involving nursing teams is vital when implementing electronic record systems
- Nurse leaders need to consider whether IT systems fit with their professional values
- The Caldicott guardian in each trust is a helpful resource
- A team effort is crucial in reaping the benefits more quickly for patients and staff
Think about how you respond to new technology in the work place.
- Do you feel excited about it or does it make you feel anxious? Why?
- If technology makes you or one of your team anxious or worried list actions you could take to address these concerns?
- If you are using electronic record systems how is patient confidentiality assured?
- How could you measure the effect of new technology on patient care and the ward team?