Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Nurse bailed in Stepping Hill deaths investigation

  • 1 Comment

A Filipino nurse arrested in connection with poisoning deaths at a hospital has had his bail extended, police has said.

Victorino Chua, 46, was initially held in January on suspicion of tampering with medical records at Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport, Cheshire.

He was further arrested on suspicion of three counts of murder and 18 counts of causing grievous bodily harm.

Chua was bailed until next Monday but had his bail extended today until January 31 next year, Greater Manchester Police said.

The Force is investigating the contamination of various products with insulin between June 1 and July 15 last year at the hospital.

Twenty-two people were subsequently poisoned by the contaminated products, seven of whom have since died.

They are Tracey Arden, 44, Arnold Lancaster, 71, Derek Weaver, 83, William Dickson, known as Bill, 82, Linda McDonagh, 60, John Beeley, known as Jack, 73, and Beryl Hope, 70.

Staff at Stepping Hill Hospital first raised the alarm after noticing “unexplained” low blood sugar levels in patients.

Police later found a number of saline drips had been deliberately contaminated, between June 1 and July 15 last year.

Detectives are now reviewing and analysing each of the hundreds of interactions all those patients had with a member of staff or visitor during their time at Stepping Hill.

More than 650 statements have been taken and 800 members of staff have been spoken to.

The tampering affected patients on wards A1, A2 or A3 - acute care wards of seriously ill patients.

Another Stepping Hill nurse, Rebecca Leighton, 28, from Heaviley, Stockport, spent six weeks in jail after being held over allegations she had tampered with the saline bags.

She was then released and cleared of any wrongdoing last September when prosecutors said there was not enough evidence against her, but she was subsequently sacked for theft by bosses.


  • 1 Comment

Readers' comments (1)

  • Something very fishy here. Poor Rebecca Leighton, life ruined, another man's career in Limbo for 18 months whilst a demented poisoner remains at large ( something tells me, though, that this will prove to be unsolvable)

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.