Kath McCourt has been elected chair of the Royal College of Nursing’s ruling council.
Professor McCourt, who is a dean at Northumbria University and an RCN Fellow, will formally take up her position following the RCN annual general meeting on Wednesday.
Professor McCourt said: “I feel very privileged to have been elected to represent nurses and healthcare assistants across the UK.
“I look forward to working with my fellow council members over the coming two years and can assure members that we will continue do our best for them during this difficult time,” she added.
In addition the following members have been elected to key positions on the RCN council:
- Vice chair of council – Michael Brown
- Chair of nursing practice and policy committee – Ian Norris
- Chair of membership and representation committee – Anne Wells
- Chair of governance support committee – Sandra James
- Chair of business committee and honorary treasurer – Andrew McGovern