Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Trust plans to boost ward sister role

  • 2 Comments

A hospital trust has announced it is to recruit 40 band 5 nurses in order to help enable ward sisters to devote more of their time to leadership and management roles.

County Durham and Darlington Foundation Trust wants its ward sisters and charge nurses to spend 80% of their time on supervising wards and line management, and the remaining 20% on delivering care to patients.

Acting director of nursing Diane Murphy told Nursing Times that currently the percentage was the other way round, with sisters spending around 80% of their time delivering direct care to patients.

This situation had developed over a number of years due to an increase in demand for the trusts’ acute services, she said.

The trust is planning to spend £800,000 a year on extra ward manager training and recruiting the extra band 5 nurses it requires to ensure there is no reduction in direct nursing care.

The plans were backed by the Royal College of Nursing. Glenn Turp, RCN regional director for the North, said the trust should be “congratulated for setting the benchmark high” and that he hoped other trusts “will now follow their lead”.

He said: “The role of the supervisory ward sister is crucial, because it means that all patients will know exactly who is ultimately responsible for the overall continuity of their care.”

The Nursing and Care Quality Forum has called for sisters and other nursing team leaders to be counted as entirely “supernumerary” on rotas. In its initial recommendations to prime minister David Cameron last month, the forum said nursing team leaders needed “time to lead”.

  • 2 Comments

Readers' comments (2)

  • Great news re: extra nurses, & charge nurses not having to just fill in gaps on rota, but _please_ say some of that supernumerary time will be 'leading by example' so their standards/skills/experience can be passed on the next generation of nurses i.e. leadership time rather than just more management/admin time.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Our trust is planning to do her same to give the ward managers time to lead and manage their teams and ensure patients get high quality safe and effective services at the point of delivery . And yes they will also be providing the clinical leadership and " example" setting in the 20% of time for clinical activity

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs