Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

What syringe should you use to administer drugs via an enteral feeding tube?

  • Comment

What syringe should you use to administer drugs via an enteral feeding tube? What do you think?

Any substances given through an enteral feeding tube must be via an enteral syringe or designated enteral feeding set (NPSA, 2007). The use of IV syringes to measure and administer medications through enteral feeding tubes has, in the past, led to fatalities due to the inadvertent IV administration of drugs meant for enteral feeding tubes (Hicks et al, 2008; Nevan et al, 2000). Enteral syringes are currently purple in colour and clearly labelled “for oral/enteral use” to distinguish them from IV syringes.

Three-way taps and syringe tip adaptors should not be used in enteral feeding systems because connection design safeguards can be bypassed (NPSA, 2007). All oral/enteral syringes containing oral liquid medicines must be labelled with the name and strength of the medicine, the patient’s name, and the date and time it was prepared and the person who did it, unless preparation and administration is one uninterrupted process and the unlabelled syringe does not leave the hands of the person who has prepared it. Only one unlabelled syringe should be handled at any one time (NPSA, 2007).


  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.