Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Every little bit helps: income-related benefits

  • 1 Comment

Funding your education is a big investment, and it can be difficult when money is tight. Find out if you’re eligible for some income-related benefits that can help ease the burden

Are you eligible?  

Income-related benefits are typically available for part-time students on lower incomes, but there are a few exceptions where full-time students may also be eligible for benefits. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis, but if you’re a lone parent, are caring for a child with a partner who is also a student, or have a disability and qualify for the disability premium, severe disability premium or income-related employment and support allowance, you may be eligible.

What kinds of benefits are available?

Income support – Income support is available to those who are on a low income and working fewer than 16 hours a week. Full-time students may be eligible if they are a lone parent, living away from a parent or guardian, are a refugee learning English, or are at serious risk of abuse or violence. The amount of income support you can receive is dependent on a variety of factors, including personal income, savings and expenses.


Housing benefit – Housing benefit is available to those on a low income as a means to help pay part or all of their rent. This benefit is typically not available to full-time students, but there are exceptions for students who are disabled or who have children. The amount of assistance received is dependent on personal and financial circumstances, as well as particulars of your home and rent.

Council tax benefit – Council tax benefit is available to assist those on a low income with their council tax bills. Eligibility for this benefit is dependent mainly on your income and capital, and you can apply whether you’re in or out of work. Several factors are taken into account when determining how much you can get from this benefit, including income, savings, and personal factors such as age and family size.

Jobseeker’s allowance – This benefit is available to both full- and part-time students. Full-time students may be eligible for this benefit during the summer holiday if they are a lone parent, care for a child with a partner who is also a full-time student or are actively seeking work. Part-time students may be eligible if they are out of work or working fewer than 16 hours a week, and are capable of and actively seeking work. If you receive this benefit, funds will be deposited in your bank account every fortnight. Fund amounts can range anywhere from £53.45 to £105.95, dependent on a variety of factors including age, marital status and the type of allowance you claim. 


  • 1 Comment

Readers' comments (1)

  • So basically the vast majority of students are entitled to diddly-squat...Great article! :\

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs