- Article: Maghlaoui A (2012) Challenges and current issues in managing hepatitis C. Nursing Times; 108; 32/33, 18-20.
- Author: Anita Maghlaoui is hepatology nurse specialist, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Foundation Trust, London.
THIS ARTICLE WILL TELL YOU ABOUT:
- Symptoms of hepatitis C infection
- Common ways of contracting hepatitis C, and ways to prevent it
- Why hepatitis C is a serious concern
- How to diagnose and treat patients with hepatitis C
YOU WOULD BE LIKELY TO REFERENCE THIS ARTICLE IF YOU WERE RESEARCHING:
- Hepatitis C infection
- Liver disease
- Injecting drug users
IN WHAT SITUATIONS WILL THIS ARTICLE BE USEFUL TO ME?
- This article will be useful to help you understand the health problem that hepatitis C infection presents, and treatment and management options. It highlights advice for those with the infection to prevent onward transmission to others and outlines the care that those undergoing treatment need.
QUESTIONS FOR YOUR MENTOR/TUTOR:
- Should I be suggesting that patients go for hepatitis C testing?
- What can we do to educate people on how to avoid contracting hepatitis C?
- Are there any disadvantages in being tested?
STUDENT NT DECODER
- Epidemiology: The study of cause, distribution, and control of diseases.
- Hepatology: Branch of medicine concerned with the liver and its diseases.
- Genotype: The arrangement of the genetic material within the virus which determines its characteristics and reactions to treatments. Hepatitis C has a number of different genotypes - some of which respond to treatment better than others