- Article: Benefits of napping on night shifts
This article tells you about:
- How to reduce tiredness on nights
- Benefits of napping at night when working shifts
- Recent research into advantages of restorative napping
You would be likely to reference this article if you were researching:
- Shift work
- Night nursing
In what situations will this article be useful to me?
- It will be useful for you in two ways. First, from a personal point of view as you will be working night shifts as part of your training. The article confronts the issue of tiredness, its impact on how you work and offers strategies to limit fatigue.
- Second, it will be useful to you if you are doing an assignment on night nursing or the issue of shift work.
Questions for your mentor/tutor
- Should you talk to the hospital about introducing restorative napping?
- How would it work in practice? What facilities are needed?
Student Nursing Times decoder
- Restorative napping: a brief sleep which reduces feeling of fatigue and improves performance.
- Cognitive impairment: this is when mental functions such as memory, understanding, and judgment are affected. This can be from a variety of causes - tiredness is one of them.